Founded in 1873, SPCA Cincinnati has a long history of service to the Greater Cincinnati community. Originally founded as the Animal and Human Humane Society, it was the first organization of its kind in Ohio. Eventually two separate agencies evolved, leading to the creation of the Hamilton County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which was headquartered in downtown Cincinnati. The headquarters moved to Colerain Avenue in Northside in the 1930s, and the current building was constructed in 1964. Thanks to the generosity of the community, SPCA Cincinnati built the Sharonville Humane Center in 2008, and received Simmonds Farm as a donation in 2009.
Today, SPCA Cincinnati remains the very epitome of true service to the people and animals in our community. SPCA Cincinnati takes in over 7,000 dogs and over 9,000 cats annually. In addition to providing shelter and rehabilitation to these animals in need, SPCA Cincinnati collaborates with government, law enforcement, and social service organizations in its ongoing effort to encourage humane principles and foster the human-animal bond.